Monday, 21 January 2013

Diglett - Dugtrio

Hurray, more dresses!

Hope you're all having lovely evenings. I'm stressed to the max with school so I decided to give myself a break and upload the two latest (colored) dresses. These are Diglett and Dugtrio. I had many initial qualms about them for pretty obvious reasons. Is Diglett bold and striking? Is Dugtrio?... nope. Brown and rocks, with an odd little nose. That's okay though. I'm always up for a challenge.

Before I do the grand reveal I thought I'd give a bit of a plug for cycling. This weekend was my first training camp of the year with team SBC Redgoat (SBC = Saskatoon Business College). That's what we're calling it for now, anyways. I've mentioned the sponsors before so I won't go over them; however I got the opportunity to become familiar with the Redgoat training facility in Moose Jaw, SK. Redgoat is going to be a huge asset for Moose Jaw! I'm really excited for them and I know business will be booming. The facility is wide open, with plenty of space to fit a team, or for any individual to go and do self-directed training in an excellent environment.The trainers want to be involved in attendee success, which I think is great. All too often I go to a gym absolutely saturated with 'trainers' and gym staff, only to see them hanging out with each other in various corners of the gym. In addition to offering crossfit programs and expert advice, the facility also offers Computrainer sessions. If you're not a huge cycling nerd like me, let me give you the gist of it: A Computrainer essentially allows an outside element (ie. a coach or a program) to affect the intensity of your ride, when riding indoors. You are not 100% in control of your power output. This allows for great testing opportunities (which coaches love, but athletes such as myself loathe and fear), personal strides in willpower, and a good reason to stay on your trainer in those winter months. We had the opportunity to sync training videos along with our rides. A pro-cyclist with a videocamera on his helmet recorded his power output on a ride with his buddies, so that we could ride 'with' them in California or France at their intensity, despite being indoors in Moose Jaw. It was pretty sweet. Don't worry though... the intensity can be dialed down based on your personal fitness level ;)

So all in all, sweet facility. Here's a pic of how the Computrainers are used if you haven't had the faintest clue what I've been talking about. Please note that the on-screen technology is somewhat dated in this image...

Fig 1. The dedicated cyclist... doing his scheduled training
Aight! Sorry for the digression, but this stuff is very interesting to me! Sometimes I wonder if people are bothered by the odd mash-up of athletics, academics and... Pokedresses. Of all things. Am I one-of-a-kind? Does anyone else do this sort of thing?

But on to business. The Diglett dress. As with all my Pokedresses, please do not copy or reproduce without my permissions, and click for a larger image.

Fig 2. Diglett dress
Diglett was kind of fun to draw. I wanted to pay homage to it's shape and did so in two ways. The first is the back. Sort of a cut-out Diglett, don'tcha think? Also the shoes, which aren't serious in any way, shape or form. I would love a pair. Be the cool kid with the Diglett shoes :)
I went with a pretty literal skirt. She wouldn't actually be wearing rocks. I had in mind some sort of crimpy fabric that could be molded to look as though it were rocks. In real-life, I don't imagine I would want the rocks to look quite as separate from eachother as they do in the drawing.

Hope you like! Now Dugtrio. Very similar to Diglett so I pretty much just went formal with it. These two are extremely cohesive, which I don't mind.

Fig 3. Dugtrio dress
Mmm.. ombre rocks :)
So yes, quite classy and formal, with quite a bit of weight to it... Dugtrio is stuck to the ground so even though many gowns nowadays like to focus on being light and airy, I sort of wanted this one to be, well, grounded. I sketched some simple shoes because I didn't want to overload the design. The skirt itself is pretty intense to look at. Paid homage to the Dugtrio silhouette with the dress shape on the back.

I'm exhausted. I could say more, but I'm tired. And I'm sure you're all bored with this by now anyway.
Have yourselves a good one! Meowth and Persion up next.

Lindsay - 29CentPens



6 comments:

  1. That bike machine looks *intense*. I'm not much of a cyclist, but I'd definitely give it a spin (and likely be embarrassed once someone cranked a hill up to 11 on me).

    I really like how these two feel connected to the ground, and using the Dugtrio nose color for the shoes as a kind of accent color - or is it perhaps underground magma, given that Dugtrio are able to dig deeper than the Earth's crust is thick?

    Anyway: Congrats on getting a third of the way through the Kanto Pokedex! (There's a fellow out at the gate to Route 15 with an item for you.) I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for Growlithe, personally; if the menswear look works out, I'd love to see the Abra line the same way ('stache included?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I'm getting married and am having a Pokemon themed wedding. Uh I know this is a lot to ask but my favorite Pokemon is Gengar ,and I was wondering if you could make a sketch of a Gengar wedding dress.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I"d be very happy to do this for you. Could you please let me know what style of dress you were thinking about (sleeveless/with sleeves/mostly white etc.). Hope to hear back from you soon!

      Lindsay

      Delete
  3. Hi there, I was pinning on Pintrest the today, and I find that you have designed my ideal wedding dress. I am getting married in a year or two here, and my husband to be and I are obsessed with Pokemon! I'd really like to be able to use your dress idea for Ninetails or Vulpix, but I could never dream of it without your permission and input. I'd love to conversate with you further on this matter, if you wouldn't mind. Please email me at ms.m.lukens@gmail.com if you're amenable to the idea or to tell me off with a resounding "NO". Whichever you choose, I will understand and respect. Thank you for your time!
    Brynna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brynna,

      I'm so pleased you like one of my designs! Feel free to use either for inspiration for your dress. I would love to see a photo when it is finished!

      Lindsay

      Delete
    2. Brynna,

      I'm so pleased you like one of my designs! Feel free to use either for inspiration for your dress. I would love to see a photo when it is finished!

      Lindsay

      Delete